Acular or Ketorolac eye drops is a very potential medication which is used in the pain, swelling, and inflammation of the eyes. The medication belongs to the group of prostaglandin analogue. The drug is also effective in many surgeries post operatively.
The Acualr eye drop is a generic medication, which contains Ketorolac thromethamin, the active ingredient of the medicine. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, which provides healing of the eye condition without taking much time.
Acular eye drop is usually prescribed to reduce the symptoms of allergic rhinitis, which is characterized by the symptoms like watery eyes, redness of the eyes, pain, swelling, etc.
How Acular does acts in the eyes?
Acular controls the over activity of the body’s natural substance called Cyclo-oxygenase (COX), which are responsible to produce prostaglandin in the body. The prostaglandin is a chemical substance of the body that carries the pain stimulus to the brain with the help of the receptors, and then we feel pain.
So, Acular disables the prostaglandin to transmit the pain stimulus to the brain. As a result, we don’t feel pain. When we suffer from pain, swelling, or any inflammation, then it stimulates the synthesis of the prostaglandin which makes us to feel pain. But Acular inhibits all the cyclo-oxygenase activities, and helps us by giving the instant relief.
How to use the medication?
The application of any eye care medication needs proper hygiene, which helps you get rid of all the complication related to the infection or bacterial contamination. However, you should follow the below mentioned steps:
- First, you should wash your hands properly, and then start using the eye solution.
- Shake the bottle well before opening the lid.
- Do not touch the tip of the bottle.
- Before application, should also clean your face and eyes.
- Then start applying the medication.
- Put 1-2 drop of the solution in the each affected eyes.
- Then after instilling the medication, close your eyes for 10 minutes.
What are the precautions?
Before using any medication, you should always know its safety measures, to avoid the serious complications. Some of the important steps are;
- Do not apply the solution if you are allergic to it.
- Tell your doctor, if you are under any medication, and also you have any history of drug allergy.
- Always use the drug, only after talking to your doctor, because you may not be the suitable candidate for the drug.
- The medicine should be avoided if you are having any other infection.
- You should not hand over the drug to a person who has the similar symptoms like you, because it can be dangerous for him/her.
- Taking this medication is not actually a beneficial decision for those patients who have or ever had an allergic reaction to any participants present in this medicine.